Gerald J. Sullivan, Chairman
Jerry is Chairman of Gerald J. Sullivan & Associates, the focus company for all members of The Sullivan Group. With over 35 years of in-depth and extensive experience in numerous aspects of the insurance business (regulatory, investment, company, claims, program manager, reinsurance and wholesale intermediary), Jerry brings to the Group unique skills, ability and contacts as leader of this outstanding organization.
Having grown up in an insurance family, Jerry moved to Southern California in the early ‘70s where he worked with George Walker in the development and expansion of a varied book of property & casualty business including the largest medical professional liability insurance program in the U.S. During this time, Jerry also oversaw a large book of treaty reinsurance business on behalf of the family reinsurance intermediary firm, John F. Sullivan Co. In the early ‘80s he established the company that today is the core of The Sullivan Group and, along with various partners, developed a number of new companies and insurance products such as structured settlements.
With heavy emphasis on service to both clients and markets, the Group has grown into one of the largest privately owned brokerages in the country providing services in the wholesale, reinsurance and retail areas of the business.
Education: University of Washington – B.A. Business Administration, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School – MBA, Insurance
- Council for Insurance Agents & Brokers (CIAB)- Board of Directors, 2009-Present
- California Department of Insurance: Agents & Brokers (CIWA), Member, 1995-Present
- Society of Chartered Life Underwriters (CLU), Designee, 1969-Present
- Society of Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriters, Member.
- Surplus Lines Association of California: Chairman, 1979 & 1995. Executive Committee, 1977-1981 & 1989-1996. Chairman, Security Committee 1976-1983. Chairman, Legislative – Committee 1992-1994. Stamping Office Committee, 1997.
- Surplus Lines Coalition: Chairman, 1993-1995.
Hank Haldeman, Executive Vice President & Director
Hank is the Executive Vice President and a Director of The Sullivan Group, responsible for group-wide business development, market relationships, strategic planning, systems, and marketing.
Hank began his insurance career in 1980 as a wholesale broker, specializing in biotechnology, product, alternative risk and environmental liabilities with Stewart Smith West, Inc. where he became Vice President and Director. In 1986, Hank took on the Chief Operating Officer, Senior Vice President and Branch Manager roles at Henry Ward Johnson & Co., responsible for the Western states operations of the wholesale broking subsidiary of Johnson & Higgins.
Hank joined The Sullivan Group in 1997 as Senior Vice President and Director. Hank also serves as the President of Sullivan Healthcare Insurance Services and G.J. Sullivan Co. Reinsurance, both in Los Angeles.
Education: University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. Political Science, Cum Laude 1975
- Surplus Line Association of California (SLA): Executive Committee & Chairman of the Legislative Committee. Chairman 1996-1997. Chairman of Legislative Committee 2009-Present
- National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices Ltd. (NAPSLO): President, 2014-2015; Board of Directors, 2008-Present
- California Insurance Wholesalers Assoc. (CIWA): President 2003-2005. Board of Directors.
- Insurance Industry Charitable Fund (IICF): Executive Committee, Directors’ Council & Board of
- Weingart Center Association: Board of Directors. Vice Chairman 1997-1999. Founding Member, Weingart Center Partners.
Also: National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices Ltd. (NAPSLO); Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS); Target Markets Program Administrators Association; Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers (CIAB); American Association of Managing General Agents (AAMGA).
Paul Cunningham, Chief Financial Officer
Paul joined The Sullivan Group as Chief Financial Officer in 2001. Paul is responsible for directing all finance, treasury and accounting functions, and for ensuring the financial stability of the organization.
Paul began his career with PriceWaterhouseCoopers, where he spent ten years in the Insurance Services Practice. Subsequently, he worked as Director of Finance for an Excess & Surplus subsidiary of CIGNA Corporation. Paul also spent nine years working as a Finance Director and Controller in the Information Technology industry.
Education: University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, B.S. Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
- Associate in Reinsurance
- Society of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters
- President, CPCU Society of Los Angeles Chapter
Barbara Reilly, Vice President of Administration
As Vice President of Administration, Barbara is responsible for Corporate Human Resources, Benefits, Facilities, Licensing and Graphics.
Barbara began her career with Ecolab, Inc., where she spent eight years in the Corporate Human Resource Department, specializing in Compensation & EEO/Affirmative Action. Barbara joined The Sullivan Group in 1998 as Office Manager for Sullivan HealthCare.
Education: Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana, B.S. Business Administration
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM).
- Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA).
- Employers Group.